Friday, April 16, 2010

Say What?

As a seminarian, I am frequently asked about the faith tradition in which I hope to some day minister. Yet, as soon as the words 'Unitarian Universalism' jump off my tongue, my questioner's face grows wrinkled with confusion.

Unitarian Universalism...say what?

Below are a handful of pithy responses I commonly offer (my 'elevator speeches'):

Unitarian Universalism is a non-creedal faith. We not only search for God in different places, but also describe those encounters in different ways. That way, when we gather in community, we have stories of transformation to share.

Unitarian Universalism teaches me how to live a full life. It keeps me anchored in the Holy and committed to Humanity in the here and now.

Unitarian Universalists have different religious beliefs but share a common faith. We know that life is holy, that each person is worthy, and that when we join together to plant the seeds of love, the world blossoms.

Unitarian Universalists chart different religious paths. Many journey to distant shores and find traces of God in a variety of sources. By gathering together on a regular basis, we not only share our respective stories of discovery, but also hold one another accountable for the choices we have made along the way.

Unitarian Universalism is like a patient teacher who shows me how to paint my life. She encourages me to select my supplies from a variety of religious sources. When it comes to painting, though, she insists that my brush strokes be wide with respect, tolerance and love.


Also...

I quite admire the clarity of this UCC self-promotion:

Steeples Ad from United Church of Christ on Vimeo.




Print this post

No comments: